More Good fats
More quality protein
Very little grains
Unsweetened black coffee as treat
I gave details about drinking more water and eating more veggies. Now it’s on to the rest of the Training Plan.
- Fats. The Worst Word in the Diet Dictionary, right? We’ve been told for so long that fat is bad that we don’t even question it anymore. We’ve replaced fats in our diet with so many other substitutes that our bodies are totally starved for the benefits of fats. Not convinced? There is much solid information about the need for good fats in our diet. Here’s a place to start: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-weil-md/healthy-eating_b_629422.html. I also love www.marksdailyapple.com for great information about fats. I have found that eating reasonable amounts of good fats (avocado, nuts, nut oils, coconut oil, ghee) is self-limiting. A dollop here, a spoonful there (while cooking, snacking or in a meal) makes MyBrattyTasteBuds very happy. My body is quite satisfied for longer periods as it uses this fuel it’s been designed to burn. SATISFACTION GUARANTEED.
- Protein eaten as close to its natural state makes MyBuds swoon. Organic eggs, grass-fed beef, minimally processed chicken and turkey, organic raw nuts, nut butters and nut milks are all featured in my meals. I found that eating roasted nuts, even unsalted ones, triggered fist-to-mouth overeating, a clear signal for me that something was off. When I stick to the least-tampered-with choices … SATISFACTION GUARANTEED.
- Grains used to be my drug of choice. I do not say that lightly. MyBrattyTasteBuds led me into many a dark alley lined with donut shops, massive cinnamon rolls, pecan pies, light and fluffy breads, rich cakes, fresh summer corn on the cob, oatmeal, chewy artisan breads … and I indulged at will. MyBrattyTasteBuds fought me on this one, big time. Every time I contemplated eliminating grains, they would begin to chant: “You’ll never be able to do it!” If I’m perfectly honest, they are right to a degree. I still eat one piece of sprouted grain bread a day to keep my grain monsters at bay. However, my body has been very clear that blood-sugar spikers such as white bread and kettle corn bring on massive migraines. I would not have discovered the cause of my migraines had I not taken out the grains, and then indulged in one, only to get slammed with the headache. Very soon, I am going to experiment with getting rid of that last piece of daily grain. We will see if I am satisfied!
- Dairy has never been high on my list of must-haves … except for ice cream … and that leads right into sugar. MyBrattyTasteBuds always preferred their sugar wrapped in some kind of bread, preferably deep-fried or laden with unhealthy fats. Ice cream on the side used to be perfectly acceptable. I put dairy and sugar reduction at the bottom of my Training Plan because they were the easiest to cut. If I was consistent with water, veggies, good fats and high-quality protein, I didn’t even think about dairy and sugary foods. (There is a very nice coconut-based frozen “ice cream” that MyBuds love.) SATISFACTION GUARANTEED.
- Coffee. Full of anti-oxidants. I have never wanted anything in my coffee but the good old bean and water. I nurse four espresso shots over 24 to 36 hours and don’t give it much thought. The smell of coffee brings strong, positive emotional responses for me. If there is a downside to coffee, the emotional boost I get outweighs it. SATISFACTION GUARANTEED.
If you have BrattyTasteBuds and decide to give any of my Training Plan a try, let me know. I would love to hear your questions, experiences, challenges and successes!